Thursday, May 2, 2013

RIP: Rapper Chris Kelly of Kriss Kross Dead at Age 34



Kriss Kross rapper Chris Kelly has passed at the age of 34.

According to CNN, Kelly was found unresponsive in his home on Wednesday and was later declared dead at a hospital in Atlanta. At the present time, it is unclear how he died, but an autopsy has been planned for later today.

As a rapper, Chris Kelly was known by his stage name, "Mac Daddy" and rapped along with his Kriss Kross bandmate, Chris Smith, who was known as "Daddy Mac". They were discovered at the age of 13 at a mall in Atlanta by So So Def producer Jermaine Dupri, and were well-known for starting a fashion trend by wearing their clothes backwards. Their first album, "Totally Krossed Out," went to multiplatinum status and contained popular hits such as "Jump, Jump" and "Warm It Up".


In middle school, I was a hardcore Kriss Kross fan. I bought all the singles and CDs, knew all the lyrics to the songs, wore my clothes backwards, and went to their concerts. In February of this year, I was ecstatic to see Kriss Kross reunite at the So So Def All Star 20th Anniversary Concert. As they performed, "Jump, Jump" and "Warm It Up", I relived my middle school memories of Kris Kross and fondly remembered the love that I had for their music.

Picture Source: New York Post

I am deeply saddened by the news of Chris Kelly's death, and send my prayers and condolences to his family, friends, and all those affected by his passing. May he rest in peace.

In tribute to Chris Kelly, here is the Kriss Kross performance from the So So Def All Star 20th Anniversary Concert:

No comments:

Post a Comment